Take a trip back to Colonial times and visit
Sands Ring Homestead Museum
- 1760 Nathaniel Sands Builds the Homestead for his cousin Comfort Sands. Comfortís wife did not want to leave her home on Long Island, so Nathaniel and his family moved in.
- 1771 Nathaniel gives The Homestead to his son, David, and his wife, Clementine Hallock, as a wedding present.
- About 1770 to 1790 David opens The Homestead to the Society of Friends, known as The Quakers. The Meeting Room was used by the Quakers until 1790 when the present day Quaker Meeting House was built.
- 1775 to 1783 Revolutionary War soldiers camp on the property and spend time in the Homestead.
- About 1783 David opens a General Store in a room on the first floor of the Homestead. Soldiers and members of the community trade here.
- 1818 David dies and bequeaths The Homestead to his daughter Catherine Sands who is married to Elias Ring.
- 1865 Nathaniel Sands, Davidís son, creates the Sands Medal to be awarded to students who demonstrate excellence. The medals are still given today to students in Cornwall and New Windsor schools.
- 1907 Benjamin Ring Davis, Catherineís grandson, dies and is the last family member to live in the house.
- The Homestead Becomes Part of the Community
- 1912 Community members concerned about the future of The Homestead form the Village Improvement Society and purchase The Homestead and surrounding property.
- 1913-1914 The Meeting Room is converted into a Tea Room. The Homestead becomes headquarters for the American Fund for the French Wounded. Garments are made and food is sent to devastated countries. The A.F.F.W. rents the Tea Room to benefit the Red Cross.
- 1950 The Town of Cornwall purchases The Homestead and establishes a museum.
- 1951 The State Education Department of New York grants the museum an educational charter.
- 1973 to the Present Students from Cornwall, the surrounding communities, and New York City learn about colonial life through hands-on colonial learning and activity programs.
- 2007 to the Present Friends of Sands Ring Homestead Museum is created to provide support to the museum. Recognized as a non-profit organization under Section 501 (c)(3), it is organized exclusively for educational purposes.
© Friends of Sands Ring Homestead Museum
website by RLH Websites